Hi it’s Dr. Jeffrey Gerdes your Raleigh Chiropractor and today I want to discuss My Top five Ways to decrease Neck Pain…Fast!
- Seek Chiropractic treatment for your neck pain. Chiropractic care has been shown to be extremely effective for neck pain without the side effects of addictive drugs which can be very harmful to your health. Just look at the current opioid addiction crisis in this country. Chiropractic attempts to alleviate your neck pain without any potentially addictive or deadly opiate medications. A recent study investigated the cost-effectiveness of spinal manipulative therapy, supervised exercise, and home exercise among a group of 241 older adults with chronic mechanical neck pain. The investigators found that spinal manipulation combined with home exercise resulted in better clinical outcomes and lower costs than either supervised exercise combined with home exercise or home exercise alone. The study demonstrates the benefit of utilizing spinal manipulative therapy in the management of chronic neck pain. The Spine Journal, June 2016
- Look at how you are sleeping. Often times your pillow and mattress are the cause of your neck pain if you are waking up in the morning or at night with neck pain this could be a key indicator that something is wrong with your pillow or mattress. Ideally, you want a pillow that keeps your head and neck in a neutral position throughout the night and a mattress that is not too firm or too soft.
- Consider taking 1200 mg of fish oil per per day. In recent study published by the Neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers The study showed that nearly every patient reported improvement when they started taking fish oil daily. Make sure to consult with your doctor beef before starting to take fish oil as it can thin your blood. Fish oil can also carries other mild side effects.
- Adjust your workstation.All of this time that we are spending on the computers and desks can really take its toll on our joints and muscles. Many patients are presenting to doctor’s offices with neck pain that is coming from sitting long hours at the desk at work for several hours a day. Consider adjusting your work station or getting up for stretches or range of motion exercises to help loosen everything up when sitting at work for long hours. For more great information on your ergonomics check out my friend and colleages Podcast on ITunes “The Modern Desk Jockey” Click Here To Listen
- Start an exercise program. The healthier your body is the less likely you are to experience neck pain. If you can strengthen the muscles in your spine and at the same time improve your flexibility than you can significantly decrease your chances of experiencing neck pain.
So there you have it…for more great tips download my E book Getting Relief: A Consumer’s Guide To Relieving Neck and Back Pain at Home. Get the book here Fee Pain Relief Book
Dr. Jeffrey Gerdes, D.C.