BACK PAIN RELIEF RALEIGH, NC
Back pain is one of the most common health problems experienced by people. Not only in Raleigh, NC but throughout the country. In fact, most adults will suffer some degree of back pain at one time or another.
According to the American Chiropractic Association
31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given time. Back pain can vary, sometimes lasting just a day or two or for some the pain is daily and chronic.
A few interesting facts about back pain:
- Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide, according to the Global Burden of Disease 2010.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections.
- One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Experts estimate that as much as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in their lives.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain—and that’s just for the more easily identified costs.
In 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) opioid overdoses, including prescription drugs and heroin, killed more than 33,000 people. More than half of the fatalities involved a prescription opioid. Fortunately, back pain doesn’t always need to be treated with potentially addictive or fatal opioid pain medications. Chiropractic offers many conservative treatments to manage and resolve back pain.
What causes most back pain?
Most back pain originates from irritated vertebral joints, inflamed/injured spinal discs or tight spasming muscles. Back pain may be as benign as a tight muscle or be from the result of and injury . Back pain as the result of bulging or herniated discs in the spine typically tend to cause more pain and and can be more severe generally. Other causes of back pain can be from sitting at work, bending and lifting with household chores, improper standing and sitting positions, poor posture, being overweight, a bad mattress, or even insufficient calcium and mineral levels.
Living with chronic or acute back pain back pain should not become a normal way of life. If your back pain is affecting your normal activities of daily living then it is time to take action to treat and manage your condition. I see many patients in practice who stop exercising, can not pick up there children at home, avoid driving or airplanes because of their back pain. This for some can carry long term psychological and psychosocial problems. There is a well know link between chronic pain and depression.
Chiropractors, like myself, are trained to conservatively diagnose, treat and manage acute and chronic back pain. Some of the modalities and techniques used such as flexion-distraction technique, specific spinal manipulation, instrument-assisted manipulation, trigger point therapy, ultrasound and electrical muscle stimulation therapy have been used for hundreds of years in chiropractic and physical therapy to conservatively treat spinal dysfunctions.
Carolina Chirocare and Rehab offers chiropractic back pain treatments in Raleigh NC. Minimal paper work, same day and walk-in appointments and we are in network with most major health insurance companies.
If you suffer from back pain in Raleigh NC and are looking for relief, contact us today to schedule an appointment .
Jeffrey S. Gerdes, D.C.