- Seek Chiropractic treatment for your neck pain. Chiropractic care has been shown to be extremely effective for neck pain without the side effects of addictive drugs which can be very harmful to your health. Just look at the current opioid addiction crisis in this country. Chiropractic attempts to alleviate your neck pain without any potentially addictive or deadly opiate medications. A recent study investigated the cost-effectiveness of spinal manipulative therapy, supervised exercise, and home exercise among a group of 241 older adults with chronic mechanical neck pain. The investigators found that spinal manipulation combined with home exercise resulted in better clinical outcomes and lower costs than either supervised exercise combined with home exercise or home exercise alone. The study demonstrates the benefit of utilizing spinal manipulative therapy in the management of chronic neck pain. The Spine Journal, June 2016
- Look at how you are sleeping. Often times your pillow and mattress are the cause of your neck pain if you are waking up in the morning or at night with neck pain this could be a key indicator that something is wrong with your pillow or mattress. Ideally, you want a pillow that keeps your head and neck in a neutral position throughout the night and a mattress that is not too firm or too soft.
- Consider taking 1200 mg of fish oil per per day. In recent study published by the Neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers The study showed that nearly every patient reported improvement when they started taking fish oil daily. Make sure to consult with your doctor beef before starting to take fish oil as it can thin your blood. Fish oil can also carries other mild side effects.
- Adjust your workstation.All of this time that we are spending on the computers and desks can really take its toll on our joints and muscles. Many patients are presenting to doctor’s offices with neck pain that is coming from sitting long hours at the desk at work for several hours a day. Consider adjusting your work station or getting up for stretches or range of motion exercises to help loosen everything up when sitting at work for long hours. For more great information on your ergonomics check out my friend and colleages Podcast on ITunes “The Modern Desk Jockey” Click Here To Listen
- Start an exercise program. The healthier your body is the less likely you are to experience neck pain. If you can strengthen the muscles in your spine and at the same time improve your flexibility than you can significantly decrease your chances of experiencing neck pain.
Hi! Its Doctor Jeffery Gerdes here. Your Raleigh North Carolina Chiropractor. Today I want to talk briefly and answer the question, Does Chiropractic work?
Like any other treatment option, chiropractic has its risks and benefits. Similar to physical therapy, taking medications, surgery or doing nothing at all.
It does not work for every individual, but it is a treatment option to consider when seeking out other treatment options.
To answer the question, does chiropractic work? It does work. Does it work for everyone? Of course not. It does not work for every individual. But it is a treatment option that can be very effective in treating neck pain, back pain and spinal injuries.
You may be a candidate for chiropractic care. If you have other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact my office.
Jeffrey Gerdes, D.C.
Its Doctor Jeffery Gerdes here. Your Raleigh North Carolina Chiropractor. Today I want to talk briefly about 3 main causes of low back pain that you may not know about.
Number 1 would be misalignment of the lumbar joints. These joints in your back can twist and lock out of their normal position, causing pain or discomfort maybe a sharp pain in your lower back. When these joints lock or fixate out of their normal position, they can become restricted, inflamed and cause back pain. As Chiropractors we realign and restore the mobility to those joints which decreases spine pain.
Number 2 would be a bulging, herniated or degenerated disc in the low back. Statistically this is the top cause of low back pain. When the lumbar disc becomes inflamed it causes a very significant amount of low back pain.
Number 3 would be nerve irritation. Nerve irritation in your low back. These nerves run out of your spine and go into your leg and when irritated cause associated leg pain and numbness with the back pain. Sciatica is tingling in the back of the thigh or foot. Sciatica is a condition that can become very problematic and is something that we treat here in the office and treat successfully.
I just wanted to share with you real briefly today, 3 causes of low back pain you may not know about.
Jeffrey Gerdes, D.C.
Its Doctor Jeffery Gerdes here. Your Raleigh North Carolina Chiropractor. And author of ‘Getting Relief – A Consumer’s Guide to Treating Neck and Back Pain at Home’ and co-author of ‘Understanding Whiplash’.
Today I want to talk real briefly about 2 questions I get asked here in the office, should I use ice or heat after an injury? A good rule of thumb is you want to use ice in an acute injury. Acute meaning the first 72 hours or 3 days. Should you sprain your shoulder at the gym, have some type of whiplash, car accident or injur your knee playing soccer, you want to use a lot of heavy ice that first 72 hours.
Now as far as heat is concerned, heat is going to better promote the healing process in an injury that is post subacute or chronic. So something that’s after 3 days or a conditions that has been bothering you for a quite some time. The heat is going to decrease inflammation and also increase the healing response process as well.
So that’s a quick rule of reference for the utilization of ice or heat after an injury. With any other questions or if you would like to request a free copy of one of my books, please don’t hesitate to contact our office.
Jeffrey Gerdes, D.C.
Today I want to answer some of the questions we get asked here in the office.
What is the popping and cracking? Your spine is a series of moveable joints. Those spinal joints can move, lock and fixate out of their normal position.When this happens, pressure and gas builds up in the spine causing pain, headaches, sometimes some nerve irritation.
Chiropractors remobilize these spinal joints and realign them. When that happens, often times, there will be an audible pop or a cracking sound. Quite simply what that sound is, is gas being released from the joints. It’s a combination of oxygen and CO2, and the joints sliding back into their normal position.
The purpose of these chiropractic treatments is to relieve pressure and pain in the spine. So I hope this answers all your questions. Until next time, its Doctor Jeffery Gerdes your Raleigh North Carolina Chiropractor.
Jeffrey Gerdes, D.C.